Water-Base Laquer Rub Out Schedule

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 07:57:40 -0500

Hi Terry -

First, I am glad to hear you have solved your lighting problems.  This is
hard enough to do under good conditions, much less when you can't see
what you're doing!

Regarding rubbing out, first, a comment my mentor liked to use:  "rubbing
out a finish is a LOT like work; in fact, it's hard to tell the
difference sometimes!"
That being said....

I like to wait at least a week before rubbing out a finish.  Longer is
better; shorter can be done.  The more ANY finish has cured, the better
it rubs out, and Oxford's PSL is no exception.  Ideally, we would all
wait a month, but of course that is not at all practical.  If your spray
schedule was sensible, a week wait before rubbing out should be fine.  If
you piled on 3-4 very heavy coats on top of each other in one day in less
than ideal conditions, in one week you COULD still have a finish not
cured enough to rub well.

I will describe my process for rubbing to satin/semi-gloss....

After curing, I generally use a flat sanding block wrapped with 400, then
600 on the more important pieces.  By this I mean the pieces that are
seen and touched the most.  You can use the silicon carbide wet or dry
paper and a lubricant - i.e. water and wol wax- or you can use the new 3M
216U Gold paper dry.  If using a lubricant, you must frequently wipe it
dry to check your progress.  WATCH YOUR PRESSURE ON THE EDGES!  And sand
in straight lines with the grain...

Once you are level, with a uniform sheen, I move to 0000 wool and the
water/wolwax lube.  I use the lubricant by dipping the wool into it, and
also have a spray bottle to spritz it on where I need more as I am
working.  The wool can be used in the bare hand, or rolled out onto a
sanding pad to assist in obtaining the LONG STRAIGHT STROKES you want.  I
have been using a large (4x9?) drywall sanding block with good results.
When removing the 'slurry' to see if your sheen is uniform, a rubber
squeegee is a valuable tool to quickly remove the majority of it.  Towel
dry the rest.  If your sheen is uniform, you are done, if not, re-wet and
repeat.

(In place of wol wax, there is also 'wool lube', and Murphy's Oil soap.
All of these work great.  I'm sure there are others, as well.)

I have been experimenting with the new "abralon pads" on my random orbit
sander to do the leveling, with good results so far.  The pads have some
kind of micro-mesh abrasive attached to a foam pad that velcros onto the
R/O base.  The grits are 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000 (I think).  It seems
like it may be a good alternative to hand sanding.  They are re-usable
many times, it would seem, by simply rinsing out the slurry after using
each time.  They leave the surface VERY uniform.  I went up to 2000, then
to the steel wool.  I think Jeff Jewitt is using them on bare wood in the
latest edition of Fine Woodworking.  I am not RECOMMENDING you use this
method yet, but it looks promising, especially for the big lid.  That's
an aerobic exercise to rub out by hand!

I should also mention that I have used the gray scotchbrite in place of
the 0000 wool for a slightly lower sheen.  It is more like 00 or 000, I
would guess, and works extremely well.  It works particularly well
clipped onto the drywall sander, but must be purchased in rolls so that
this can be accomplished.

I'm sure I've left plenty out, so let me know if I can be of any further
assistance.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com