sources for sitka panels

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:35:26 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 15, 2001 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: sources for sitka panels

> Well now, don't we learn something every day! It was my understanding that
> North Hudson's panels were Sitka. My my my, the plot thickens.

Well, the plot gets even thicker, Ron....

What most folks are calling Englemann spruce these days is probably not
really Englemann spruce. It is probably a hybrid of Englemann and something
I've heard referred to as mountain spruce, or mountain white spruce.

Now, this is not altogether a bad thing. It turns out to have some rather
nice qualities that some of the Canadian luthiers are finding to be quite a
good tonewood.

Del