Climate Control Promotion

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:53:35 -0500

Dear List,

I offer the following in hopes of shedding some light on relative =
humidity readings measured with inexpensive digital hygrometers inside a =
piano when a Dampp-Chaser Climate Control System is operating.  I will =
use the hygrometer we distribute as an example.  Please note that we =
only distribute this hygrometer as a tool to use in showing a piano =
owner the extremes of relative humidity he or she might experience in =
the home.  We have never promoted it as a tool for technical or =
scientific studies.  In our testing we use hygrometers that range in =
cost from approximately $500 to $1500.  We believe that one needs to =
invest over $100 to get a reasonable tool to use in testing System =
performance.

We have switched hygrometer manufacturers and do provide a slightly =
better hygrometer than we initially distributed.  But even these are =
only moderately accurate, reasonably precise and the sensor will drift =
significantly with time.  (This is simply the nature of the inexpensive =
electronic sensor in these instruments.)  So kindly understand our =
intention was to provide a tool where you could show a piano owner a =
40-50% relative humidity swing had occurred when the hygrometer was left =
in their home for a period of time.

The other source of some confusion is in how the Climate Control System =
operates.  The Humidistat contains an electromechanical switch.  We =
measure the calibration of each switch in one of our humidity controlled =
test rooms.  Here we bring the humidity up to about 65% and down to =
about 30% very slowly over a 20-hour period.  Computers record the upper =
and lower set point for each switch and our regular Humidistats now have =
a six percent range with the average of the two set points falling =
between 42% and 44% relative humidity.

When a Climate Control System is functioning within the piano the =
relative humidity rises and falls much faster than the twenty hours of =
controlled humidity change the switch experienced in our calibration =
test room.  The sensing band in the Humidistat is slow to respond to a =
rapid increase in humidity, and one observes "overshoot" where higher =
than expected relative humidity levels are recorded by a hygrometer =
placed in the vicinity of the Humidistat.  We observe these in our =
product development humidity controlled test rooms.  Here, however, we =
are also measuring soundboard equilibrium moisture content.  What we =
find is that we get good stabilization of the moisture level in the =
soundboard.  We use relative humidity as a surrogate for moisture =
content in wood.  Unfortunately they do not always directly correlate at =
any given point in time.  The soundboard tends to equilibrate at =
constant moisture content while relative humidity is cycling in a =
controllable, repeatable cycle.  The equilibration of soundboard =
moisture content is the driving force for all our product development =
research, and this is reflected by the pitch stability which our product =
can provide to the piano.  We discuss our product in terms of relative =
humidity, only because it is a concept that a layperson can easily =
grasp.

I am one who believes in under promising and over delivering.  I only =
recommend the hygrometer as a sales tool.  I only claim the Climate =
Control System will help to provide pitch stability.

Maintenance of pitch stability is directly dependent on how confined the =
space is in which the Climate Control System operates.  We have =
introduced a back side cover for vertical pianos that provides better =
confinement.  We continue work on a grand undercover to provide the same =
benefit.  We are pleased to have received patents last year for both of =
these systems.

We also continue work on a better Humidistat.  We experiment with =
electronic sensors that respond quickly to avoid the "overshoot".  =
Unfortunately, the ones we have examined all drift significantly.  (The =
electromechanical switch we now use does not drift.)  We cannot imagine =
a technician going in every year to replace a sensor on a Humidistat.  =
We do monitor R&D on humidity sensors and hope that the ideal unit will =
come along in the future.

I would be happy to answer questions any of you on the list might have =
if you would like to email me privately.  We at Dampp-Chaser are =
genuinely thankful for your interest in our products and appreciate the =
diversity of opinions offered in this forum.

Roger Wheelock
Dampp-Chaser Corporation
roger@dampp-chaser.com
www.dampp-chaser.com