NONREFUNDABLE DEPOSITS?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:55:19 EST

In a message dated 1/16/01 10:28:29 PM Central Standard Time,
skolnik@attglobal.net writes:

<< I need some perspective. In the retail piano business, how common is the
 practice of  extracting non-refundable deposits from customers?  Many
 replies, either yea or nay, would be most illuminating.
 Thanks.

 David Skolnik >>

Depends on how much the deposit is, and what the conditions are.

We have a "hold" plan. A customer wants a piano, but needs another day to
think it over, to ask the husband, to see if it will fit, etc. We ask for a
2% deposit. This assures that the piano he/she wants will not be sold to
anyone else. If the customer calls back on the next business day to cancel,
he/she gets her money back. If he/she doesn't call back, we keep the money.
The customer then has 30 days to either purchase the piano on which the hold
was put, if it is still available, or apply the deposit towards another
piano. If we don't hear back from them after 30 days, the customer looses the
deposit.

If a customer puts down a deposit to purchase a piano, and signs a sales
agreement, which states that all sales are final, then the customer is
obligated to buy the piano. If the customer decides not to buy the piano,
that is his/her choice, and legally, the store can keep the deposit. However,
most stores, including me, will refund the deposit, out of good will.

However, and this is very important, a store does not have to give the
deposit back if the customer found a "better deal" at another store. I had an
incident this summer where this happened. A customer put down half the price
of the piano as a deposit, and then wanted his money back because he said he
could buy a similar piano for less money at another store. My lawyer said
that is against the law. I don't the exact ruling, but it is "pitting" one
store against another for the lowest price. A customer can make verbal
"deals" to get the lowest price, but once a contract is signed, it's
considered a "done deal."

Willem