Small temperament octave

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:41:29 -0500 (EST)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:
> ET is actually possible within an octave of whatever type you choose.
> At the time when I studied at the Steinway factory in 1986, I was
> interested in the ET with pure 5ths.

Wow, that's interesting. I never thought about that: you can choose to
keep the 5ths pure and still have ET if you let the temperament octave be
stretched. Now, how about ET with pure 4ths? That would involve scrunching
(there must be a technical term for the opposite of stretching) the
temperament octave. I would imagine it would sound horrible, but I'm
curious if anyone has tried it.

Is ET with pure 5ths ever used in practical settings?

By the way, I ran across a site that discusses equal temperament tuning
for guitars (which we were discussing a couple weeks a go):
   http://w3.ime.net/~cygnus/equal_temperament.html

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY