3 Questions, was: Piano Warrenty/False Beats

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:30:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 17, 2001 4:50 AM
Subject: 3 Questions, was: Piano Warrenty/False Beats

> Hi Jon. I have a couple of questions regarding your post.
>
> "...Delignit pin block.....the bridge looked great, just like I put it
in."

> Interesting, especially in light of Del's recent comment about
horizontally
> laminated bridge caps. I would wonder about the potential impact of a glue
> layer being exposed right at the string side of a bridge pin - so that the
> string is laying on hard glue, rather than beech or maple. Could this
cause
> a buzz??? Don't tell me Samick has been at the forefront of piano design
> since the beginning!

Hi Terry,

I have a couple of questions regarding your post.

Why should there be a glue layer exposed right at the string side of the
bridge pin? I'm assuming you're concern is based on the practice of making
the bridges over-height and then planing them down in the piano after the
plate has been set. There is really no good reason to do this in production.
The easiest -- and best -- way around the problem is to use vertical hitch
pins and fixed-height bridges. The next-best would be to set bearing -- as
it is done in more than a few European pianos -- by the use of a spacer of
some sort that rests on the plate hitch panel between the hitches and the
bridge that can be planed or sanded to height after the plate has been
installed and bolted down. Typically these are made of some hard wood or
some very hard felt. A much more logical method than those common to the
U.S.

Second, even if there were a glue layer exposed right at the string side of
the bridge pin, why would this cause a buzz? The glued used to laminate
material suitable for bridge caps is typically a resorcinol resin adhesive.
I can't see it buzzing under any circumstances.

Third, if Samick has been using laminated bridge caps, then, yes, they have
been at the forefront of piano design -- well, at least in this one area
they have.

Del