Voicing hard hammers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:00:03 -0500

Was the article written by Roger Jolly? I recommend using his approach. =
I have been using it a lot for about one year now. Never go anywhere =
without my little raggies nad my electric iron. Just did a NASTY Hyundai =
grand in a church this morning. Settled that puppy right down. I spent =
less than 20 minutes steaming, dusting the knuckles (talk about =
SQUEAKY!), and lowering the hammer rest rail. I charged $25 for that =
service and you shouldda seen the smile when he played and listened to =
it. BIG difference.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jerry Raz=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 9:15 PM
  Subject: Voicing hard hammers

   =20
  I would appreciate any ideas on voicing exceptionally hard hammers.  =
The candidate is an old Baldwin D, used as the primary piano in a =
church.  I=E2=80=99ve done a lot of voicing over the years, but have not =
run into a set of hammers as hard as these; it is impossible to insert a =
needle into them.

   I=E2=80=99m considering steam (have read a recent PTG Journal article =
about this technique), but would like some opinions about it.  =
I=E2=80=99ve also heard about using fabric softener, but am afraid of =
using it without more information.

   Know any other possible methods?  Thanks.

   Jerry Raz