Bzzzing Dampers

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:40:15 -0600

Hi Kent,
              I will try and get Derek Gibson to take some digital photos
and post them.  They work real slick, looks as if they were made from a
pair of Japanese electric shank bending pliers.
The jaws have been marked with 3 lines, so that it is easy to sqeeze each
lead blind. They are slim enough to slid right back to the flange.
By far, this problem is the most common for noisy dampers on this age of
Yamaha. Probably why they designed a tool?
I've encountered enough of them in this dry climate, that I now recognise
the sound quickly.But for those finding this problem for the first time it
can be a hair puller.
Stacy lives in the same area re climate. I will give it an 80% chance of
being the source of the noise.
I have now got into the habit of sqeezing the leads, each time I do a major
regulation on older Yamaha's. Each time it suprises me how much it cleans
up unwanted action/damper noises.
For those techs that are unfamilar with the problem, if the action is out
get into the habit of flicking every under lever with your finger and
listen to the sound carefully. You will soon hear some dampers with  a
faint buzz instead of a solid bump. I'm sure I have covered this topic in
the damper series.(chapter3)
Regards Roger