hard hammers

Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:44:51 +0100

"Howard S. Rosen" wrote:

> I used to do this before I learned about steam voicing. Too many times the
> 50/50 alcohol/water caused the hammers to come off the mouldings. Caused me
> a lot of trouble. I am now a devotee of steam.

While sharing your preference for steam over the water /alcohol teatment, I
cant say I have ever experiened hammers comming off the mouldings. I never used
enough water/alcohol to penetrate that deeply to begin with. I generally used a
nose dropper and dripped typically 5 - 8 drops on the tenor and bass shoulders
2-3 on the treble. If I needed more after a day I would repeat the treatment.

My main objection to the water alcohol treatment is the time involved. I might
also add that I personally liked a little hotter mix.. say 90 proof... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.