_1984_ (was Re: ET for Guitar)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:13:44 -0600

>...His story gives us the hope that we
>*can* resist this kind of domination and that we do not have to accept
>everything that is told to us, written in books or dictated to us by a
>controlling authority...
>Bill Bremmer

Dear Bill, List,

Your example of George Orwell's _1984_ to help support your presentation
definitely got my attention.

I am in complete agreement with you that people do have the right and
ability to question things, but using _1984_, unfortunately, fails to
support your proposition.  Somehow you managed to *not* mention the outcome
of this particular story for one engaging in such actions.

Maybe you didn't read the whole book, maybe you forgot what happened in the
end to the main characters, Winston Smith and Julia, especially Winston,
maybe it was something else.

Regardless, _1984_ is certainly not the best example to cite to others for
substantiating and promoting a platform of resistance against a controlling
authority.
http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/1984.htm

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern