Soundboard Panels

Vilsnyder@AOL.COM Vilsnyder@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:14:01 EST

Dear Dale,
Our requirements for the width of the pieces of wood to make a Panel are 3"
minimum & 6 " maximum.  There have been fears of the extra wide pieces
"moving" , but we have not found this to be the case. We do not want vertical
grain angle tobe under 60degrees.  We believe in the standard 90 degree
princi-
pal in transmission of energy. We specify reversal of direction of long grain
both
in the pieces of a panel & also in the Ribs.  We use low density wood in the
Bass end & high density wood in the Treble end. We do not believe in diaphram
Panel tapering. Most important is the inside Panel taper must be aligned with
the
start of the Rib flare.  We build Soundboards for long sustain in homes &
short
projection & long projection & short sustain in large spaces such as halls. Of
course, all of this is subject to how high or low the tension loading is. A
number of years ago we built an old 1887 Steinway that had low tension scale &
 The
sound that came off that piano was fabulous. It was A-440.  When you played,
you could hear the "3rd's" & 6th's roll off the Board like a bunch of marbles
rolling & the vibrations & resonance when you played went up your hands &
arms.  It was uncanny!  There are many mysteries  in this craft & it helps to
keep us alive.  One of the most knowledgeable people about
piano design & construction is Del Fandrich.   Well, Dale, talk to you later.
Willis, David Snyder