tapping tuning pins...

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:43:26 -0800

I've been asked to "tighten" tuning pins on a Grand...think it's a Steinway,
although the customer mentioned TWO pianos, but didn't specify which one had
the loose pins. This job, including tuining must be done by 11 pm TODAY, so
I need advice on Tapping the pins. I do not have anything to support the
pinblock...at least nothing specifically made for this purpose. what could i
use? Can I tap the loose pins WITHOUT support? I've done this before with no
ill effect, but if it's not a good idea, then i won't do it. What about
using straight 100% CA glue? I assume the thinnest watery type? How much and
how to apply? Thanks for all the help!

Terry Peterson
Associate Member PTG
Los Angeles, CA