tapping tuning pins...

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:13:52 EST

In a message dated 1/19/01 12:29:01 PM Central Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

<< I've been asked to "tighten" tuning pins on a Grand...think it's a
Steinway,
 although the customer mentioned TWO pianos, but didn't specify which one had
 the loose pins. This job, including tuining must be done by 11 pm TODAY, so
 I need advice on Tapping the pins. I do not have anything to support the
 pinblock...at least nothing specifically made for this purpose. what could i
 use? Can I tap the loose pins WITHOUT support? I've done this before with no
 ill effect, but if it's not a good idea, then i won't do it. What about
 using straight 100% CA glue? I assume the thinnest watery type? How much and
 how to apply? Thanks for all the help!

 Terry Peterson
 Associate Member PTG
 Los Angeles, CA

I think you are asking us more than what the customer wants. I bet all he
wants is a tuning. He saw it happening once, and saw the tuner "tightening"
the tuning pins.

If you do have to "tap" the pins, to make them hold more, you do need to
support the pin block. But even that might not hold the pins. The piano
probably needs a new pin block.

Willem