QUERY: hammer/string interaction

Joel Jones jajones2@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:16:06 -0800

On 1/20/01 7:53 AM, "kam544@flash.net" <kam544@flash.net> wrote:

>> ...Is there any high
>> speed photography of a hamnmer blow.  If so please post where the results
>> and conclusions might be published.
>>
>> Thanks   John Gunderson, New Jersey Chapter
>
> Yes, there has, by Kimball, if my memory serves me correctly.  Anyhow, I
> saw it once at a piano convention class.  It also shows how the damper
> tries to land back on a single bass string that has been set in motion.
>
> That string in relation to the damper head is liken to a bull rider's worst
> nightmare except for the danger of being horned or stomped    :-)
> Pretty awesome stuff !
>
> However, I don't know where the film clip is currently located.
>
> Keith McGavern
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

 Kimball's Roger Weisensteiner & Ray Reuter (later at Yamaha) bankrolled
this project at our UW photo lab.  We had a blast making it and watching
each individual part go into it's  gyration, stress & torture.   Put it all
together and it is a small miracle these pieces last and perform as well as
they do.
    There were many technical problems to overcome in the production of
these high speed views.  The look on the faces of people seeing this film,
even after many viewings, was worth every hour to make it happen.
    Kimball used this footage to end their grand regulating classes at
National for many years.  Recently Rick Florence from ASU has been doing a
class presentation.   I am planning to use the vertical portion of the film
to end the vertical hands-on regulation class July in Reno.
    If you haven't seen the views of the grand and vertical action don't
miss it if you have a chance.
Joel

--
 Joel A. Jones