Rebuilding E-Guide

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:41:43 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> What you say is true Richard. I am a licensed Professional Geologist
> in Florida and whereas such licensing does not eliminate all the
> yo-yos from the profession, it does keep the total rip-off
> impersonators from practicing the profession. I think, however one
> needs to consider the potential adverse affects that incompetence
> would cause in a given profession. In the medical profession, it is
> obvious that an impostor could cause much grief and irreparable harm.
> In the piano industry? The only thing an incompetent technician can do
> is damage a piano and/or wiggle a few dollars out of someone's wallet.
> Not that that's good, but it can be fixed. One has to judge whether it
> is worth the hassle & expense to license and monitor a whole
> profession that has minimal impact on the good of society.

One of the best written posts on this subject matter to take that
particular stance. You do make a good point and you  make the point very
well. Still, for my part I tend to lean towards the other side on this
issue. I am not sure whether I would go so far as to requiring a
"licence"per say. Just verifiable successfull completion of an
accredited school cirriculum.

> Now, should we talk about whether there should be a licensing
> requirement for the office of the President of the USA (talk about
> potential irreparable harm) - you know, some basic requirement like
> knowing how to pronounce foreign leaders names, and maybe just say a
> few big words - so he/she at least appears presidential? No, no, oops!
> I guess that is not piano related - so I won't even bring it up!  ;-)

Grin.... they would have to make sure one was programmed in multiple
techniques as well I suppose....

> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com <mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>

Thanks for the posting Terry... I enjoyed reading this very much.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.