tuning timing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:10:53 EST

In a message dated 1/22/01 12:58:44 PM Central Standard Time,
cneuman@phy.duke.edu (Charles Neuman) writes:

> The high treble seems to eat up a lot of time. The unisons are harder for
> me there since the beats are more sensitive to hammer movement. By the
> time I get to the last octave, I'm ready to scream, and the notes start to
> sound like a metal spoon hitting a frypan. Perhaps a nice grand would have
> nicer sounding notes up there. It seems like a drag to spend so much time

Yes, the high treble is usually the most difficult and tedious part of the
piano to tune.  That is one of the reasons I recommend tuning the Bass last.
As with any task in servicing the piano, I try to do the most difficult part
first so that the end of the job comes more easily.  If you tune the bass
last, you will find that you "cool down" from the intensity of tuning the
high treble much easier, ending the job in a more relaxed state rather than
being all keyed up.

Now, you will probably get some people who will say that if you tune the bass
last, you will make the treble go flat or something like that.  Don't buy it,
it is not so.  If the piano is out of tune enough that it needs two or more
passes or the bass is somehow so flat that tuning it would cause the plate to
flex then it means that a rough or pitch raise tuning should have been done
in the first place.  The very best tuners I know all tune the bass last, not
before the treble and high treble.

The torture that the high treble puts your ears through is the reason ear
plugs or other hearing protection are recommended.  If the piano is so loud
that it causes your ears discomfort, you will be able to hear what you need
to hear even with hearing protection in place.  Try it, you'll be glad you
did.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin