Ivers& Pond

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:23:35 EST

This is a Wessel, Nickel & Gross action, I have seens hundreds of them.
Including
some others of this similar vintage  The "slots" of the cut is centered in
the shank,
all 29-30 in the last treble section. The cut is approx 3 inches long and
less than a mm wide. It starts 1/2 in from the hammer butt and ends 1/2 in
from the hammer
molding. It has nothing to do with glue relief. It leaves the maple shank
extremely flexible, which one might think was a bad thing. To my suprise none
are broken!
The cuts were made with some form of table type saw since the cut does extend
somehat longer on one side. I feel confident that it may have relieved some
of the
woody sound that can be in that area. I just found it interesting and wanted
to see
if anyone else might have found this on any other piano.
 The more pianos I see, the more I think nearly everything has been tried
once.
Mark Ritchie RPT
Columbus OH

>>I have not run into this before, and the treble location would seem to
indicate what you suspect.  The ONLY other thing I can think of would be
that the kerf would serve as a route for glue/air escapement when gluing
shanks to butts and heads, but why only in the treble, eh?  A one-time
experiment that didn't make it thru an entire piano?

Nah.....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com