Replacing Key Leads

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:08:46 -0500

At 07:35 PM 01/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I would like to know the best way to replace key leads.  I have come
>upon a Wurlitzer grand that has leads which have swelled and rub against
>the neighbors.  I don't want to shave them off, as I know they will just
>continue to swell.  I would like to know what sort of tools I would need
>to remove the leads without breaking the keysticks.  Thanks
>     Paul McCloud
>     San Diego
>
>--
>mailto:smccloud@ix.netcom.com

You will need to shave the lead off one side in order to push the lead through.
Use a very sharp chisel and work carefully.  Do not sand or file. Sanding will
create toxic dust and filing will terminally clog the file.

If you intend on doing more key releading this would be a good time to
invest in an arbor
press, they are not expensive.  This will press out the old lead and
install new ones
expediently.  I fashioned one out of an old portable drill press, the type
which you clamp
an electric drill in the 'quill' mount.

Secure a support with the hole for the lead to extrude under the tip, this
is why a press is
easier than a hammer & punch; less alignment time. It's more faster. <g>

Then again, you could just shave both sides and paint the lead-face with
shellac to retard
corrosion; it just might do the trick. afterall, it ain't no Steinway.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net