Replacing Key Leads

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:13:53 EST

Wim wrote:

<<"The leads have become corroded because of
moisture in the air. If you replace the old leads with new leads, the new
ones will become corroded, just like the old once.">>

Bzz wrong answer Wim...do you want to call a friend? :-)

 "Moisture in the air" may contribute to speeding up lead corrosion but it
does not 'cause' it. Lead corrosion is caused from some impurity in the lead
itself. It is possible, in some cases of leads corroding, that some sort of
'wood' treatment is causing the corrosion. Although I have no idea what kind
of treatment may cause this corrosion I have seen many leads which were
ringed with corrosion around the lead/wood interface and were in perfect
shape otherwise...these observations tend to make me suspect some sort of
wood treatment contamination in 'some' cases..........

<<" So just shave off the old
ones, and let it go at that. It's a lot easier.">>

 "Shaving" the old ones will solve the immediate 'sticking/sluggishness'
problems but will not solve the lead swelling problem, i.e the leads will
continue to "swell".  The chances are very good that a shaved lead will
enventually swell enough to split the key and this will present a different
set of challenges. :-)

Suggestions for trimming leads in the past have included:
sanding
filing
shaving
 I personally would not sand the leads because of the lead oxide dust that
would be created. Filing does work but my preference is to use a very sharp
chisel and shave the thingees down.  The only real permanent answer to this
problem is to replace the leads with new leads...that's just my opinion.
Replacing doesn't take that much longer than any of the rest of the
alternatives and is a much better solution.........in my opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)