How to go adjusting that fly in the window...

Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:19:46 -0600

David,

At 09:10 01/23/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Replacing the dowel let-off screws with something thinner would be a big help.

> >     I find this almost consistently on the brand new Baldwin's I
> service at a dealership!
> > I sure wish they would correct this!!!!!
> > Avery

> > >Which brings up another fun part about these dowels.  They are now up
> so high that the screw is not only visible, but sometimes blocks the
> point of the let-off reg. tool from going through.  This situation can
> lead to messed up holes and even split dowels.
>Conrad

What we have here is a failure to communicate...  I think.

The screw to which I referred is the one holding the individual dowel.
Threaded rod may be a more accurate description.

Ideally, the [tapered] regulating tool should pass through the center and
perhaps even stick out the other side.  This will give a good and positive
feel while turning the dowel.  However, when the dowel is turned up high,
as in my illustration with well filed (i.e. smaller) hammers, the
attachment screw [rod] blocks the hole.

When this happens and the point is only halfway through the dowel, the tool
is NOT snug in the hole, and will at best, make the hole oval, and at
worst, split the dowel.

The last time I split one of those #&$%@!! dowels, I snipped a couple mm
off that rod.  BTW, I sure was glad for a "sewing thread clamp".

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.