tuning timing

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:29:26 +0000

Here's an answer from a unisonist, (one who finishes unison as one
goes--mostly)

1.  Pitch raising/lowering whole piano -12-15 minutes
2.  temperament octave middle strings  -5 minutes
3.  middle strings down to bass break--2 minutes
4.  finish unison up through temperament  and perfect temperament --12
minutes
5.  progress up to top of piano at rate of about one unison per minute--43
minutes
6.  Bass (done when I need to relax or mood dictates-10 minutes
Final checks 5 minutes

This is for a concert quality tuning.  When time short it comes out of #5,
and a bit of #6.  I just bang along faster than a uni a minute, (60 mph), I
just push er up around 90 to 120 and give the top octave a mere 2 minutes.

-Mike Jorgensen