Humidity Control System issue

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:26:06 EST

Hi folks:

Here's a nice one: A couple of days ago I came upon a Yamaha Grand (G1 or so)
which looked to be between 15 and 25 years old with a humidity control system
installed neatly underneath.  It consisted of 2 heater bars and a water tank
unit and, of course, the brain.  The shame is that the brain was not smart
enough to realize that whoever installed the system (around 8 yrs ago
according to the customer) got the two outlets mixed up.

That's right - the heater bars were plugged into "HUMIDIFIER" and the tank
was in "DEHUMIDIFIER" and those heater bars were humming.  Sure enough there
was a crack in the soundboard that you could drop a credit card through as
well as signs of dried out mildew.  Another in a long line of pianos I have
seen damaged by inept usage of these systems.

I am not a fan of these systems although I know a lot of you readers out
there are and I am not interested in debating the issue, however, I do have a
suggestion for the manufacturer which I will now put out there for any who
wish to pick this ball up.

Since the manufacturer of these units has no real control over who installs
them and I am not aware of any factory installations occurring, they may wish
to consider employing a keyed system where heater bars are keyed ONLY to plug
into the correct socket on the brain, and NOWHERE else.  The water tank could
have its own keyed plug as well.

This would serve to indemnify the manufacturer as well as ensure proper
installation of their equipment.  After all, if tobacco companies can be sued
for people abusing their product, what next?

My rant, Matt in NY