Humidity Control System issue

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:59:26 EST

In a message dated 1/25/01 8:30:50 AM Central Standard Time, :=A0 =A0=20
RustRazor@AOL.COM writes:

> That's right - the heater bars were plugged into "HUMIDIFIER" and the tank=
=20
> was in "DEHUMIDIFIER" and those heater bars were humming. =20

This can and does happen, as "Murphy's Law" says, if it can happen it will.=20=
=20
I heard about such an instance just last week and in December, I was called=20
to tune a very sick Baldwin Hamilton which had only the dehumidifier plugged=
=20
into the humidifier outlet of the humidistat.  The pitch was very low and al=
l=20
of the flanges were rattling.  The temperature outside was below zero, the=20
house had no humidifier so indoor relative Humidity was in the 15-20% range=20
and this piano's *dehumidifier* was blazing away!=20

The customer said she thought that you were supposed to change the plug from=
=20
one outlet to the other each season.  She didn't quite understand how the=20
heater rod became a "humidifier" but she had been told by a neighbor that yo=
u=20
were supposed to do this.

Yesterday, my first call of the day was to a Betsy Ross spinet.  It had only=
=20
the dehumidifier which was plugged in, uncontrolled.  The piano was very out=
=20
of tune, with rattling flanges and the elbows were crumbling like pieces of=20
hard candy.

Now, the part about making money is true.  I got good money for tightening=20
flanges and regulation on both pianos, and real good money for replacing=20
elbows.  Neither customer got the piano tuned, however because aside from my=
=20
not recommending it at that time, until the piano recovers from the extreme=20
dryness, neither one could now afford to have the piano tuned anyway after=20
having paid so much for the repairs!

This does seem to fuel the position that one local dealer here has had for=20
some 20 years.  They always disrecommend Dampp-Chaser products, saying that=20
they "will void the warranty", don't work in a controlled enough manner, at=20
best, create a constant battle between humidification and dehumidification=20
and are promoted by tuners just as a way to make extra money".

While these kind of statements have been a thorn in my side all of this time=
,=20
I can see their point.  I have heard of other such instances from time to=20
time over the years.  Nearly every installation I have made in a public plac=
e=20
has been neglected or somehow tampered with after the novelty wore off.  Man=
y=20
residential customers abandon the use of the systemm after a few years=20
saying, "I get *tired* of having to water the thing all the time!"

These products have, however improved over time.  Matt's suggestion is an=20
excellent one.  Make the plugs fit only into the proper outlet somehow.  I=20
also suggest providing alternative power cords for public places.  Expecting=
=20
a 10 foot lamp quality cord to hold up to decades of use in a public place i=
s=20
to *guarantee* that the system will not function as intended.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin