Jesse French replacement action?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:48:20 EST

In a message dated 1/25/01 9:44:07 AM Central Standard Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

<< Ok, so here's the deal:

 Client has a J. French console.  Loves the cabinet. Action filled with
 plastic parts.  Jacks have started to crumble.  I've replaced a few and
 warned of impending implosion.  She really wants to keep the piano.

 Plastic hammer flanges, damper levers, backchecks, jacks, and whippen
 flanges.  Is it possible/advisable to replace the entire action?  Or, what
 is the time estimate to replace all the parts and regulate?  I may have to
 refer this one out, not the kind of work I like.

 Ron Koval
 Chicagoland
 ______________ >>

Ron

Send, or take, a sample wippen, hammer flange and damper lever to Schaff.
They have replacement for most of these parts, especially if they are Pratt
Read. (I did have one action where I couldn't find the exact match on the
wippens, and it would have been too much work to make all the adjustments and
corrections to make it worth while. I charge about $1300 - $1500 to replace
the parts, including labor. Considering that the customer likes the case, and
if the pin block and bridges are still in tact, this might be cheaper than
buying a comparable used pianos.

Willem