Bridge Recap Time

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:24:17 +1100

Terry and list,

If you're just getting into bridge recapping Terry, there's a series
of images (6) on my website which shows the recapping of the top two
string sections of a certain Hamburg Steinway D, which eventually
caused much controversy here in Aus' back in 1996. I also lost about
half a years work (or more) defending my position.

The first image can be found at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/bcrp1.html

Each image has a link at the bottom of the page, to the next image in
the series.

The images are linked from a document which discusses a procedure for
cutting quarter cut stock, suitable for recapping, out of back
sawn/slab sawn boards. I think Bob Hoff wrote an excellent series in
the Journal last year in which he states that he uses a similar
technique for resawing capping material. This document can be found
at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/rsaw.html

Also included in the page is an extract from a report I wrote back in
1996, when Steinway Hamburg and I found ourselves with differing
opinions, regarding my rebuilding procedures. Much of this centered
around the way I recap vertically laminated bridges. We still use the
same technique as shown in the drawings. Of course, if any company or
potential client has a problem with our techniques, they are always
at liberty to chose another repairer.

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au