Jesse French replacement action?

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:41:55 EST

In a message dated 1/25/01 7:44:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

> Ok, so here's the deal:
>
> Client has a J. French console.  Loves the cabinet. Action filled with
> plastic parts.  Jacks have started to crumble.  I've replaced a few and
> warned of impending implosion.  She really wants to keep the piano.
>
> Plastic hammer flanges, damper levers, backchecks, jacks, and whippen
> flanges.  Is it possible/advisable to replace the entire action?  Or, what
> is the time estimate to replace all the parts and regulate?  I may have to
> refer this one out, not the kind of work I like.
>
> Ron Koval
> Chicagoland

The last time I bid a piano with all of the plastic parts you mentioned, it
was over $2000. They are usually not cost worthy. Last year I replaced lifter
elbows, hammer, wippen, and damper rail flanges that were plastic, for around
$1200.  It was and heieloom and her folks paid for it.

As for replacing the whole action, you can get assemblies like the jack,
wippen and flanges.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR