Concert Tuning Info Emergency

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:08:35 -0500

It would seem to me that the fact that this is a concert tuning would =
justify a significant fee increase. Additionally, in this particular =
case, I had to reschedule a fishing trip with my son (believe me, this =
was NO small deal) AND I had to reschedule tuning two pianos that a =
woman was going to do some recording on.

Also, only after I stated my fee, did I realize that this silly festival =
that my tuning is going to be in the middle of is a huge downtown mad =
house of people and parades and closed streets with little if any =
parking. I doubt that I will be able to leave the area and return by 5 =
PM. I will likely get there by 10 AM and not leave until well after 6 =
PM.

I wish that I had the forethought to add a hefty hourly standby fee for =
the hours between tunings.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 8:30 PM
  Subject: Re: Concert Tuning Info Emergency

  At 05:04 PM 1/26/01 -0500, you wrote:=20

    I enjoy new challenges. Usually. Which is good, because I have just =
made my tuning services available for my very FIRST concert tuning (5 =
minutes ago).=20

    <SNIP>=20

  Congrats. I bet you like it. Basics are the same as anywhere other =
than the added problems of outdoor temp changes and the likely hood of =
MIDI sequences or recorded accompaniment that is , of course, on pitch. =
You won't have time to change pitch if the piano is out. Don't fret, =
it'll change for you in the sun and the lights. %^)  Rain is fun, too. =
Had a bass player look at me one time when the wind blew the rain cover =
over us and say, "Wow, this must be Spinal Tarp". ugh=20
  Be fast and confident. Now....

    I'm charging double my usual tuning fee for each tuning. Is that =
normal?

  Why? Gotta say, that bugs me. Maybe just me. I charge for any wasted =
time, and touch-ups, etc. But... double? Did you have to rebook other =
customers in order to accept this job?
  My answer to your question is "No". I don't believe that's normal. Or =
justified.

  Guy Nichols, RPT

    Help.  :O   ( .5)
    =20
    Terry Farrell
    Piano Tuning & Service
    Tampa, Florida
    mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

  None learned the art of archery from me
     Who did not make me, in the end, the target.
                                   Saadi of Shiraz (c. 1200 AD)=20