Concert Tuning Info Emergency

Michael Musial piano@villagehost.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:09:48 -0500

Hello Terry,

> Any general advice from you old pros regarding tuning specifics (any
> special style or anything, like lots of stretch, etc.) and just general
> considerations for outdoor concert tuning at a festival?

Richard Brekne gave what I think is the most important piece of advice
for a large venue concert tuner... "Don't Freak Out!"

You may have between Noon and 1pm to tune the piano, but there is the
chance that someone may decide at the last minute that is the only
available time for sound check. Guess who gets the priority...

I had one occasion where I had 90 minutes to tune. For 70 of those
minutes you literally could not hear the piano when played
mezzo-forte. I voiced my protest and then proceeded to tune. I simply
followed the lights on my SAT III. The guitar technician, with his
instrument plugged directly into his tuner, smiled at me
apologetically. I just looked upon the situation as silly. There was
a bit of time at the end to do some aural touch-up.. The SAT got me
very close.

For most rock concerts, if time is short, concentrate mainly on Pitch
and Stability. On occasion the guy in charge of the keyboards will
bring out his Korg tuner and check your A to make sure it is 440.
Sometimes that is all that matters to them. Do a lot of test blows...

My last big venue was an appearance of The Boston Pops Orchestra last
month. I had a Steinway D and a Steinway L to tune. The truck from the
rental company broke down and the pianos arrived five hours late. I
had two hours and fifteen minutes to tune both these pianos. The D was
10 cents sharp and the L was 8 cents flat. And guess what.. by the
time they arrived it was then time for... SOUND CHECK! I tuned both
pianos while listening to the new Steely Dan album at high volume on
the PA system. Oh, and there was also this commercial vacuum cleaner
running at a perfect F5.

The management was VERY understanding and apologetic. I was approached
numerous times and given sympathy and encouragement. I did the best I
could and that was all that mattered to them. Actually the pianos sounded
pretty good in the end. :)

Good Luck!

Michael Musial
Reedsville Pa