Concert Tuning Info Emergency

ILEENKM@AOL.COM ILEENKM@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:54:37 EST

Hello: My name is Ileen Kaplan and I have been enjoying this list for several
months.  I have been a piano technician for 27 years and  have been a concert
tuner for  25 of those years,  having tuned for some of the  most well known
classical, jazz and rock  players  around. I feel compelled to respond to
this series of  communications with an experience that I had.  Several years
ago  I was called in to tune  for a two piano concert.It was a venue  at
which I had tuned for years,  They brought in  a second  Steinway  D  and I
tuned both pianos for the  rehearsal and planned to go back and do a second
tuning in the late afternoon.  Around noon I received a call from the stage
manager- apparently the primary artist was VERY unhappy with the tunings- in
fact she called them horrible and stood up on the stage proclaiming that I in
fact did not know how to tune a piano,  thereby castigating me(albeit not to
my face) in front of many people.  She refused to let me come back and  make
the pianos  acceptable to her.  They brought in another tuner(a colleague
whom I respect greatly) who was able to satisfy  her.  It of course rocked my
confidence. However, I went on with my  work, tried to make sense of what had
happened,  got lots of advice  and  learned  some  new things,  continued to
do  concert tunings  and  not too long after  was publicly  thanked  for my
work on another   piano  by name from the stage at the end of  a solo concert
by one of the pickiest  pianists on the planet. My point being:  even if the
worst case scenario happens, as Mr. Foote  described(tongue in cheek though
no doubt he was)  it is possible to pick oneself up,  move on, and  go on to
new  levels of  ability.  Good luck Mr. Farrell, I am sure it will go well!
 Ileen Kaplan