Key Leveling

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:25:46 -0500

Set the height on end the keys, support them from underneath with a small
screw-jack
(small piece of wood with a machine screw).

Lightly tap the stick on the keys to notice any 'high' ones, remove
punchings on those.

I start with the deepest keys and insert thick punchings between the key
and the stick on all
these deep keys, remove the stick, place the punchings on the pins,
reinstall the key; tap the
stick on keys to see if any are too high. I stay with the thickness until
tapping causes movement.
Then I use the next thinner punching.

By the time you are down to .003, a slight tap with your fingernail on the
bottom of each key
will induce movement and slip the punching under the stick.

For sharps, I follow the same routine and place the punching on the natural
in front of the
sharp; not between the sharp and the stick.

I don't use all the sizes offered by the supply companies.
2,3,5,10,20,30,40 on the balance rail,
adding 60&80 for the front.  7,12.5, 18, 35,45 etc are superfluous and I
prefer to have some
thinner punchings for micro-adjusting during regulation if needed.  It also
cuts down on trying
to figure out its size it replacement is needed during the process, not to
mention inventory.
It is the way it was shown to me and I stuck with it.

Then it comes time to bury the paper punchings under the felt, remove all
keys carefully
checking the bottoms to make sure no # 2's or 3's are clinging to them.
Lift the felt with
tweezers without altering the felt alignment. Don't flip the felt over or
turn it, the reason for
this is that old felt has been compressed to the inclination of the key at
rest, so the thinner
portion is towards the back, turning the felt will alter the key height
slightly.
Newly replaced felt doesn't matter.

Stick with it,

Jon Page