Essex Musings

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:33:47 -0500

Greetings all.

I got a late jump this morning, so I could not spend the time with it that I
needed to to make a real sound judgement for this list.

All I did this morning was tune it, noted that the hammer matting could be
improved upon, and was optimistic that, with a little work, this would be a
nice piece.

I will also say that I do not like the logo.

I did play a "Crown Jewel" 'S' after tuning the Essex (they're both the same
size), and for my ears, there is not a $28,000 difference in sound...now you
can take that 2 ways..i tend to look at it as this...The Essex should be a
good seller for S&S, even if  *I*  feel it's a bit pricey, but it sounds
good, it tuned well, and would sound better with a little work (which I may
get to do yet).

Kevin, have some fresh needles ready..now don't take that the wrong way
folks..this piano has "bong" potential..that's the sound I try to get from
all my voicing jobs....I can hear the snickering from here!...cut it out!...

...can't get past that logo, though...

roo(k)