Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:58:02 +0100

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> List,
>
> Yes, it's true and I need some opinions on what to do about it.  It is a
> Young Chang Grand model G-185, only a few years old.  It is meticulously
> cared for but early in it's service, the pianist at this, shall we say,
> "spirit filled" church complained of bass strings breaking and
> shooting out
> of the piano.

Well ..... you could always tell them that this is Gods way of fireing
off warning shots to the less er..... dedicated members of the
congregation... ie them what are stingy when the offering plate is passed.

> She is quite upset and beside herself.  She refuses to believe that it
> is the
> *way* the piano is played that is causing this. She claims that she has
> played the piano "all her life" and has never seen or even heard of this
> happening.

Perhaps she is correct ???

> The piano has a string cover which she yanks out and throws in
> the corner.  She also says she has never played a piano with a
> "blanket" in
> it and just "couldn't" play with it in there.  I have firmly insisted
> that at
> this point, it is a matter of public safety and won't have any effect
> on the
> sound.

As well you should... at some point rationality simply has to be
insisted upon. Boy have I got a story for you... but thats another
posting.....:)

> I am thinking that these wound strings must have particularly high
> tension.
> Does anyone know if this is so?  Over the years I have heard of other
> such
> instances that were cured by replacing the wound strings with a set of
> lighter gauged, "happy" strings.  It would seem to me that a lower
> tension
> would solve the problem but in reading the recent post about
> "replacement
> strings", I am confused.  Some of these strings have been breaking at
> the
> bass bridge termination point rather than the agraffe.  That seems very
> unusual to me.

You scoitently need to establish that the Young Chang scale for this
piano is on the high side tension wise if you are to conclude that lower
tension would help. I will leave it too our rebuild expert panel to help
you out there. Getting Young Chang to go along with paying for a new
lower tension scale seems a bit far fetched tho....

> It is also interesting to note that to date, only wound strings have
> broken,
> no plain wire.

Interesting enough... Perhaps they need a different kind of piano ??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.