Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:02:57 -0700

    Good advice Brian! Something else you might want to do is voice =
those bass hammers so that they aren't rock hard on the strike point. =
Also, I have found that people who play in Churches like this one regard =
the right pedal as the "gas" pedal; It won't go unless it's down. I once =
had to adjust the pedal so that it barely lifted off the strings, which =
only meant that the slightest relaxation on the pedal would slightly =
damp the strings. I remember reading once that one theory for breaking =
strings is that the string is struck while it is wildly oscillating and =
just happens to be at it's furthest point from the string when struck =
again.   =20
        I tuned for a Baptist church once where this was happening all =
the time, and did these things, and that really reduced the number of =
broken strings. As far as increasing the let-off, I figure no one is =
going to be playing that piano softly anyway.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20