money and big brother

Barrie Heaton postmaster@a440.co.uk
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:18:37 +0000

In article <200101271724.LAA870929@toshiro.sk.sympatico.ca>, jolly roger
<baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca> writes

>>In the UK trade associations are allowed to set advisory minimum prices
>>for it's members to charge.
>
>Hi Barrie,
>
>No wonder a pint cost so much. Joking aside, what is the going rate for a
>tuning in the UK,
>Close to $100 cnd here in Western Canada, for a basic tuning.
>Roger

Well the set price recommended by the PTA is

Fine tuning in a poor area  £28.60  I charge £31.00 - US $43.00
Fine tuning in a well off area 38.15   I live in a poor area EEC class 2
EEC class 1 is 3rd world.

£31  = $43.00  @ $1.40 to the £.   A paint of bear is £1.60 in my local
and a big Mack in £1.40 you don't want to know what a gallon of petrol
is. I tune 15 to 20 pianos a week - depending how much workshop work and
computer work I have, this can go down to 10 a week.

Below are the European  tuning fees do not know if the are to lowest or
just average, in the UK tuners normally don't charge VAT unless they
turnover more than £45,000

Norway    £70.00      +   Vat @ 25%
Suisse      £58,50          ?
Sweden   £54.60      +   Vat @    25%
Danmark  £53.30     +   Vat @     25%
Finland   £48.10       +   Vat @    22%
Germany £44.20       +   Vat @     16%
France   £40.30        +   Vat @    20,6%
Italy       £35.10        +   Vat @    19%
Spain     £35.10       +   Vat @     16%
Belgium £33.80         +   Vat @   21%
Holland £26.00         +   Vat @   17,5%

The ABPT and IMIT don't advise they leave it up to the individual.

I don't think discussing international tuning fees would infringe anti
trust laws.

Barrie

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/