Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:49:19 EST

I had a church with the same problem. They were at the end of their rope. The
6 year old Baldwin SF 10 had been throwing strings into the congregation for
some time and they were demanding a permanent solution. None of their past
tuners had been able to help with the standard regulating cures, or by
telling them that their pianists were just playing with too much enthusiasm.

The bottom line was that the scale was simply designed with too much tension.
Replacement strings would just break as easily as the originals. I talked to
the good people at Mapes and they said they could make me a set of lower
tension bass strings and they sound as good as the originals. About two years
now and no broken strings. The congregation can feel comfortable in the front
row now without their protective head gear.

Dave Bunch