Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:10:02 -0800

You DO need to use your ears but when I hear something like that
I go back and recheck those notes with my SAT III and often
something has changed.  If nothing changed I make a slight
change to each note to clear up the problem.  The real value of a
SAT III or something similar is getting yourself in the ballpark
without brain fatigue and sore ears.  What is the use of listening to
the string until its close?  Waste of effort in my opinion.

David

On 27 Jan 2001, at 22:07, joegum wrote:

> Hi.  I had the opportunity this afternoon to experiment with an SAT
> III at a friend's home.  (My first experience with a VTD... II was
> trained years ago as an aural tuner.) I was led through the F-A-C
> procedure, set the temperament                              by device
> and tuned the strip-muted middle register.  (The piano wasn't
> significantly out of tune and very close to pitch.)  However, when I
> checked the octaves, they were beating quite noticeably (one to two
> BPS).  Is this normal? Is it now in some circles considered acceptable
> for octaves to be stretched this much?  When you use a VTD in noisy
> conditions, how can you have faith in what it's telling you without
> the benefit of aural verification?  If the stretch is adjustable, can
> the stretch be reliably individualized for each instrument without
> aural verification?  Thanks for letting me pop back onto the list and
> ask these questions.  -Joe Gumbosky

David Ilvedson, RPT