Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

Gary Rondeau grondeau@efn.org
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:50:58 -0800

Dear List,

I am rebuilding a 5'6", 1907 Chickering. So far I have re-bushed the
keys, replaced the hammers with new shanks and knuckles and replaced all
the keybed felt.  I have played on it for a year and am fairly happy
with the results except that the touch is a bit heavy.  The balance
weight averages about 50gm across the keyboard.  I plan to cut a little
more weight off of the hammer tails, but there is not much more to be
gained their. Hence, it looks like a reweighting of the keys is in
order.  Presently, there are keyweights in the front of the keys on keys
1-50, and behind the pivot from 50-88.  My question is this -- If I am
going to add front weight to the entire keyboard, what should I do up in
the treble?  Should I remove the old keyweights behind the pivot first?
If I don't do this, it seems that the inertial weight will climb in the
treble since there will be weights on both the front and back.  Any
suggestions on removing keyweights and plugging or not plugging the
holes?

Thanks,

Gary Rondeau
Eugene, OR