Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:35:04 -0500

How many leads are in the fronts of the keys in the bass and middle
section?  If there is two or three you might be able to get by with
one additional weight, preferable near the front of the key.

You will need to take the weights out of the key back ends.

I am thinking that if there are weights in the back ends then there
are few weights in the fronts down below.

Taking mass off the hammers is possible but I would go for thinning
the hammers at a steeper angle than you might have now.  I prefer to
taper form strike point to tail end because doing so will control
weights of individual hammers better.

50 grams balance weight is dangerously high.  You need to get it down
to 38 or 41 grams as high and 36 to 37 grams low end.  BUT too much
weight puts in inertia which you may wish to keep low.  In that case
you need to consider action geometry or putting in wippen helper
springs.

You can search the archives for such key words as metrology, Stanwood,
balance weight, action geometry and others you may think of.

		Newton
		nhunt@optonline.net