Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:45:29 -0500

What was the radius of the old knuckle (distance from the center pin)
as compared to the new replacement.

If the replacement shank has a knuckle closer to the fulcrum, that will
produce an increase in BW.

The newer hammers are more than likely a lot heavier than the originals.

Tapering the sides will remove more weight than tail arcing and cove
reduction.

If the knuckle radius is at 17mm now, that may be a good place to start
and you can look for weight reduction and friction easing to lower BW.

Regard,

Jon Page

At 11:50 AM 01/29/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I am rebuilding a 5'6", 1907 Chickering. So far I have re-bushed the
>keys, replaced the hammers with new shanks and knuckles and replaced all
>the keybed felt.  I have played on it for a year and am fairly happy
>with the results except that the touch is a bit heavy.  The balance
>weight averages about 50gm across the keyboard.  I plan to cut a little
>more weight off of the hammer tails, but there is not much more to be
>gained their. Hence, it looks like a reweighting of the keys is in
>order.  Presently, there are keyweights in the front of the keys on keys
>1-50, and behind the pivot from 50-88.  My question is this -- If I am
>going to add front weight to the entire keyboard, what should I do up in
>the treble?  Should I remove the old keyweights behind the pivot first?
>If I don't do this, it seems that the inertial weight will climb in the
>treble since there will be weights on both the front and back.  Any
>suggestions on removing keyweights and plugging or not plugging the
>holes?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary Rondeau
>Eugene, OR