Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:11:35 -0000

I am working on a similar vintage and size Chickering.  The original knuckle
position was 17.5 mm and the hammers were very light. Number #40 weighed 6.7
grams.  The crown of the hammers was only .400 wide.  I am using an Abel
shank from Brooks that has an 18mm knuckle and also has a narrow flange to
accommodate close spacing in the treble.  Those shanks are also tapered
through the set which helps with the weight.  I am using a Ronsen 14lb
hammer with Mahogany moulding which I can easily get down to a weight that
will put me right in the ballpark of the original.

David Love