Kawai Underlever Tray

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:23:30 -0800

Don, David, et al,

At 08:15 PM 1/29/01 -0800, Don wrote:

>To prevent these from breaking again, adjust the pedal stop capstan under
>the keybed down so that the dampers are not lifted too high.  In almost
>all cases where the damper tray pivots have broken, you will find that the
>dampers are being lifted too far, and the levers are jamming on the upstop
>rail.  In many cases I find that the trap lever stop capstan has also been
>forced up into the keybed by heavy pedal stomping!
>
>After the pedal stop capstan is adjusted, stomp hard on the pedal yourself
>to make sure it won't be pushed up into the keybed during use.  If it is
>loose, take out the capstan, insert a strip of buckskin coated with white
>glue into the hole, and re-install the capstan.
>
>If the pedal stop is solid and adjusted correctly (the dampers should lift
>the same or slightly less with the pedal compared with a sharp key), and
>the upstop is also adjusted correctly, and if you make sure the damper
>tray center pins are nice and snug fitting (much tighter than a normal
>action center), you should have a reliable system.  Keep an eye on the
>adjustments at each tuning, and you should prevent further damage.

For those who deal with people who break these things often, try the following:

Eliminate part of the problem by replacing the pedal stop capstan with a
combination of leather and felt - often, one layer of resole leather and a
hunk of hammer felt, to start with.  Then adjust as Don suggests above,
remembering to check from time to time.  It's an old trick learned from a
nameless alte kacher which has saved me much angst when dealing with
exuberant performers.

The existing design is ok for 10-year-olds, but is a recipe for disaster in
a commercial or institutional setting.  Many pianists seem to view the
pedals as on\off switches...one wonders how they drive...

Cheers.

Horace

Horace Greeley, 			email:	hgreeley@stanford.edu
CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer		voice:	650.725.9062
Controller's Office			fax:	650.725.8014
Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215