noisy dampers (wires)

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:00:14 +0000

Hi Ed, and List,
     I seem to recall Scott Jones' damper class, (Detroit?), teaching that
Steinway Damper people intentionally make the damper wires rub against one side
or the other of the guide rail bushings to provide stability for the dampers.  It
was the same class where he bent a damper wire so far as to make the damper work
for a neighboring unison.  From there, he spaced it back and reregulated it so it
worked.  I believe it was a trichord--a fairly impressive feat.  Perhaps there
are some on our list that remember this class and will comment on the relative
merits of dampers wires rubbing against the guide bushings.
-Mike Jorgensen