noisy dampers (wires)

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:38:06 -0500

I received a call from a piano owner about poor damping.

The piano was a 'new' gray market Kawai purchased from a 'deeler'
(who might as well be selling TV's and Toasters for all he knows
about pianos) in need of top action regulation and damper seating
attention. I was called because the deeler said everything was working
properly: "It's supposed to be that way".

The wires had an oxidation which dragged through the guide rail bushing
as Ed described below. They were also exerting pressure on one side of
the bushing.  The heads also needed to be centered over the strings and
the bends below the rail improved to allow free vertical movement of each unit.

Cleaning & polishing the wires, lubing the guide rail bushings, felt prep and
wire bending brought the dampers back to functioning properly.

Let me describe my method for squaring off the damper.  For a height
setting gauge:
a 1 1/8" dowel cut to a 1 1/4" length with a hex head machine bolt (fits
easily in tool box).
This slides along the keybed to set the underlever height.  This works for
most pianos and
underlevers, but I also have a 'tongue' apparatus for underlevers which are
not easily accessible.

I also use this short dowel as a square. Holding the damper slightly above
the string,
I 'square-off' the wire with the guide rail, then adjust the bend in the
wire at the head to center
the damper over the strings. Then with a straight-edge against the side of
the head, I make
sure that the wire going through the guide rail is parallel to the damper
head. Recheck...
Then lower the damper in place without the wire in the underlever.

With the damper seated, I 'square-off' the wire again and make the
appropriate bends in the
wire length to align it with the hole in the top flange. (To square it at
this operation, I either use
the 'dowel on the wire' or a 'hammer/shank square on the strings' method).

This produces a damper with free motion. I've experimented with a slight
over-bend in the wire
after seating and found the damper to become slightly sluggish.  Maybe they
have found in the
factory that by having the wire lean on the bushing speeds up the
installation process and use
it as an excuse for, "It's supposed to be that way" but I have found that
better damping is achieved
with meticulous attention given to friction reduction, straight motion and
felt grooming.

As a check, I'll place a small square on the strings and lift the damper to
insure that it travels straight.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 08:59 PM 01/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:<snip>