noisy dampers (wires)

Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:35:57 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> I love reading about troubles I have not yet experienced. Maybe with some, I
> will know how to fix it before it occurrs! Sometimes some of the particulars
> are tought to figure though. What on earth are you folks talking about when
> you speak of wedge damper felts "bowing" the string? Do you speak of the
> wedge driving downward and spreading the strings apart farther than with no
> felt present?
>
> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

More like as in violin bowing in this case.  The dampers can "bow" the strings
creating this "whoosh" noise. Too much damper felt protruding inbetween unision
strings.... too strong a damper spring (in uprights) perhaps over heavy dampers
in grands, bad regulation of dampers are amoung the most frequent offenders.

We sure as heck aint talking about horse riding..

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway
mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no