Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:52:06 -0500 (EST)

Bill,

It seems that the real tragedy is that they don't believe your
professional opinion. I'm sure that happens alot to technicians. Even if
you said, "I've heard from other technicians on email, and they have seen
similar cases..." they might still blame you.

But here's an idea: maybe the Guild can help by publishing reports of
commonly recurring problems like this. Then you'd be able to tell them,
"I've done some research into the problem, and it turns out that the Guild
publish an Official Report on this very case." It would be worded vaguely
enough to be meaningful in many different cases, and it might say, "Many
technicians have reported strings breaking on pianos that were used with
bands, such as in churches. It is believed that the piano has been
regularly played at sound levels beyond those for which the piano was
originally designed. While each case needs to be reviewed by a technician,
remedies have included [list of remedies]." With this, you could say, "The
Guild says so."

Just a thought.

Charles Neuman