uprights: Schlz-Pllmn, M&H, Petrof, Essex...

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:45:11 -0500 (EST)

Terry Farrell wrote:
> > Shulze-Pollmann 50" .... The back frame (with built-in posts) is
> > made of one piece and is made of  laminated layers.
>
> Brian Trout and I were looking at that at the NC Regional conf. The big
> question we had is what do they do with the cut out pieces. That back
> appears to be made out of one big piece of plywood. They have some big
> strong laminated cut-outs left over from each piano. You know they don't
> throw them out. What do they do with them? Pin blocks for Tom Thumb pianos?

I just spoke to a guy who works for North American piano, which
distributes these pianos in the US. I asked him your question. He said he
didn't know exactly what they did with the pieces, but he said, "One
thing's for certain, they don't throw them out." He said that the parent
company, General Music, makes organs, digital pianos, etc etc. They make
things for Peavey, Baldwin, and others. So, he says the pieces of wood are
probably used for some of these other products.

I also asked him what the advantage was for these one-piece backs. He said
it eliminates potential buzzing sounds because there are no joints. That's
exactly what the dealer told me. But I figured there'd be a better reason,
like having a stiffer support which helps keep soundboard crown or
something. Maybe in the end, it's just cheaper to make them that way.

I realize this guy's not a technician, but he represents the company
better than a dealer does.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY

P.S. And in his opinion, of course, the Shulze Pollmann blows the Petrof
away. I think it's a fair comparison, and I'd like to hear some more
objective opinions on it. I hope Larry Fine discusses it in the new
edition of his book, due out any day now.