Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:02:35 -0500

At 10:35 AM 01/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I tuned for a church with almost precisely the same story (Kawai concert
>grand, treble strings more often than bass). I gave up explaining that there
>was no such thing as "too tight" if the piano was in tune. The "fault" will
>be yours, no matter what temperament you use, because they would otherwise
>have to admit that they a) made a poor purchase, or b) are not the skilled
>musicians they conceive themselves to be. When I tried softening the hammers
>a little, increasing the let-off a little, etc. I got the complaint that the
>pianist had to hit the keys so hard to get a good volume that her fingers
>hurt. ( I didn't soften it all that much.)

Many years ago, a restaurant added a new piano player to their line-up.
This guy started breaking treble wire since he thought he needed to hit
the keys harder to get a sound, I hardened the hammers and the sound
became louder and he played softer. String breakage approached zero.

Jon Page