uprights: Schlz-Pllmn, M&H, Petrof, Essex...

LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:12:16 EST

In a message dated 1/30/01 11:36:41 AM Central Standard Time,
cneuman@phy.duke.edu writes:

<< P.S. And in his opinion, of course, the Shulze Pollmann blows the Petrof
 away. I think it's a fair comparison, and I'd like to hear some more
 objective opinions on it. I hope Larry Fine discusses it in the new
 edition of his book, due out any day now. >>

I'm probably not what you'd call objective, since I sell the Schulze
Pollmann. But having carried the line for 2 years now, I can tell you that in
my personal opinion, and trying to be as objective as I can, the Petrof is
not in the same league. I also sell Bechstein, W. Hoffmann, and Charles
Walter.  I have a nearly new 6' Schimmel sitting right next to a 6' 3"
Schulze Pollmann. The Schimmel *almost* compares. The fit and finish on the
SP is better though, but of course, all of this is imho. I do try to be
objective though, as I learned a long time ago that if I wasn't I would only
fool myself. So I consider myself to be overly critical, if anything. But
again, that is only mho too, isn't it?  One thing that isn't subjective - the
SP pianos come in dead on ready to deliver, with literally none of the fussy
work needed by the Petrof. Just tune it.

Larry Fletcher
dealer/technician
Pianos Inc.
Atlanta, GA