What do you tell a 90 year old lady....

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:31:56 -0800

Lift the lid and show her.  Or take the bass section of the split damper =
rod out and the bass won't sustain! Of course all the other players will =
complain.Tom D.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 7:06 PM
  Subject: What do you tell a 90 year old lady....

  .... who insists the pedals aren't working right?=20

  Situation. Lady approaches me at church and tells me her last tuner =
did=20
  something wrong to her pedals. I got there today. It's a Acrosonic, =
and the=20
  last tuner put on new bass dampers. When she played, she kept her foot =
on the=20
  sustain pedal, and then complained that the bass notes kept ringing. =
For a 90=20
  year old, she is pretty alert, and played half way decent. When I =
played, I=20
  used the pedal like you're supposed to, lifting my foot when the chord =
would=20
  change. She looked at me and said, "I have been playing for a long =
time, and=20
  I never lift my foot like you do. I just kept it down all the time. =
That is=20
  the way I have always played. But now the piano just keeps on =
sounding. Why=20
  is that? What is wrong with the piano?" I tried to convince her there =
is=20
  nothing wrong with the piano. But how do you tell a 90 year old lady =
she=20
  doesn't know how to pedal correctly?  =20

  Willem=20