Raising the pitch: Was "Strange call"

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:59:25 -0500

You're right, but there are some of us who *don't* raise the pitch all at one
time and who *do* know why.  I am almost paranoid of breaking a string.  If I
suspect that an ancient piano may not survive a full pitch raise without
strings popping all over the place (my record is twelve), I go part way and
see what happens.

I have indeed come across some old clunkers (almost dead, really) that break a
couple strings bringing it up from 100 cents flat to 50 cents flat.  Will I
take it the rest of the way?  Not likely, unless the client want it to
standard pitch for a good reason.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger